It's the most wonderful time of the year! Pantone has announced their 'Color of the Year' for 2021 and we are here for it. Our graphic designer, Della must have googled 'Pantone Color of the Year 2021' 500 times before they finally revealed it.
Every year since 2000, Pantone has chosen a color that they believe to be a prediction of where color is headed. These colors are a thread they hope people will be inspired to weave throughout all design: home decor, fashion, packaging, and web.
A stark contrast from last year's 'Classic Blue,' this year, their choices were Pantone 17-5104 Ultimate Gray and Pantone 13-0647 Illuminating. Just like every other year, this yellow grey combination has been the source of lots of talk and speculation.
Here's what Pantone has to say about each color:
- Illuminating: "is a bright and cheerful yellow sparkling with vivacity, a warming yellow shade imbued with solar power."
- Ultimate Gray: "is emblematic of solid and dependable elements which are everlasting and provide a firm foundation."
- Together: "Practical and rock solid but at the same time warming and optimistic, this is a color combination that gives us resilience and hope. We need to feel encouraged and uplifted, this is essential to the human spirit/"
After the year we had in 2020, we like the sentiments behind these color choices. While they may not be everyone's favorite, how could Pantone please everyone with their decision?
While we love all design, we'll focus on home decor for today's post. Here's what Pantone highlighted for home decor:
"Ultimate Gray and Illuminating are a great combination to set the mood in any room in the home adding a dose of sunshine and positivity. Juxtaposing Illuminating with Ultimate Gray in table linens, sheeting and home accessories including pillows and tabletop infuses vitality and liveliness.
Painting a front door in bright yellow Illuminating conveys a warm and welcoming message when supported by solid and dependable Ultimate Gray in the exterior finishes.
The ideal combination for any office whether in the home or in a commercial space with Ultimate Gray providing the firm foundation for illuminating, a vibrant yellow that heightens awareness and enhances intuition, lighting the way to intellectual curiosity, originality, and resourcefulness of an open mind."
Once we found out about this color combination, we sifted through our gallery to get inspired. Here are some gorgeous gray and yellow combos we found that remind us of Pantone's predictions:
One of our very own pendants adopted the Pantone Colors for this year before they were cool.
The most yellow Stray Dog room of the year award goes to Johnson Vann Interiors.
What Stray Dog Colors are closest to the Pantone Colors of 2021?
Want to sift through previous Pantone Colors of the Year? Here's the master list:
- PANTONE 19-4052 Classic Blue (2020)
- PANTONE 16-1546 Living Coral (2019)
- PANTONE 18-3838 Ultra Violet (2018)
- PANTONE 15-0343 Greenery (2017)
- PANTONE 15-3919 Serenity and PANTONE 13-1520 Rose Quartz (2016)
- PANTONE 18-1438 Marsala (2015)
- PANTONE 18-3224 Radiant Orchid (2014)
- PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald (2013)
- PANTONE 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012)
- PANTONE 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
- PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
- PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
- PANTONE 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
- PANTONE 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
- PANTONE 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
- PANTONE 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
- PANTONE 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
- PANTONE 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
- PANTONE 19-1664 True Red (2002)
- PANTONE 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
- PANTONE 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)